What skills do successful Realtor’s have?
- Communication skills
- Understanding of real estate
- Knowledge of your local market
- Time management skills
- Negotiation skills
- Marketing skills
Being able to communicate with your clients is the #1 key to being a successful Realtor. Whether it be a verbal conversation, a written document, or simply being able to actively listen to their requests or concerns, communication is extremely important.
Communication skills can be broken down into 4 categories:
- Verbal Communication: How you speak to your clients and the terminology you use will impact your level of verbal communication. Speak with confidence and avoid using technical or overly complicated language.
- Nonverbal Communication: Body language and eye contact are very effective forms of communication. It is key to ensure that your clients feel important and that you care.
- Active Listening: Listen to your clients will ensure that you understand your clients. Listen, ask questions, and repeat their answers so your clients feel that you understand.
- Written Communication: Being professional in all written communication is necessary in real estate.
Understanding of Real Estate
Similar to most other industries, keeping up with the latest trends and continuing to educate yourself will make you more confident and comfortable in your career. Utilize local or national news sources to keep up with the latest market updates.
Knowledge of Local Market
Local knowledge of the market makes all the difference in real estate. Your clients want to know the neighbourhood information including schools, taxes, public transportation, and more.
A career in real estate offers plenty of flexibility but being able to manage your time effectively is imperative given the lack of structure. Scheduling showings, meeting with clients and any other day-to-day activities can be very sporadic and can often involve working on weekends or outside normal working hours.
Being tech and social media savvy acts as an advantage in today’s real estate market. Using social media, personal websites and other digital assets are great ways to market your listings and you! Having a digital presence will help you get found and will show your clients that you truly are an expert in your field. Social media has been a huge advantage for individuals in not only real estate, but business in general. It has allowed people to build a business and generate income from the comfort of their home.
Do you have what it takes to be a successful Realtor?
Information referenced from: